Tikkun Olam Committee Meeting | Second Tuesday 7pm via Zoom
Join the Tikkun Olam Committee every second Tuesday of the month to discuss ways to get involved with Tikkun Olam projects. Come ready to work for justice together!
Zoom Meeting ID: 868 8482 3678 Passcode: JUSTICE
Email Sasha, Tikkun Olam Chair, for more info.
Ongoing Tikkun Olam Efforts at KHN
Support Afghan & Other Refugees
Buy wish list items:
JFS Refugee & Immigrant Services’ Amazon Wish List
Contact Kara Schoonmaker to let her know you are interested in joining a KHN volunteer effort to support incoming refugees.
Support Our Sponsored Family — Ongoing
Please support our sponsored family! Donations needed.
The family needs a variety of household, food, clothing items, and gift cards. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how you can help.
Support Detained Migrants: Things Busy People Can Do
- Donate to support AidNW (Advocates for Immigrants in Detention) in Tacoma
- Volunteer weekly or monthly at AidNW’s Tacoma Welcome Center
- Collect backpacks, jackets, clothing and toiletries and deliver to AidNW
- Train and volunteer to offer support (“accompany”) to local migrants as they navigate local institutions. Sign up to accompany migrants via The Action Network, or contact Briana Brannan (Church Council of Greater Seattle) for more information
- Raise money for the Fair Fight Bond Fund for detained immigrants
- Donate airline miles to migrants through Miles 4 Migrants
Serving lunch at WIN White Center
For more information, please email WIN Luncheon coordinator Lavinia Touchton. Thank you!
KHN and Alki UCC will continue to collect donations of food, hygiene and personal items for people in need for distribution on Saturdays in White Center. The donation box is in the KHN lobby. The list of requested items is below.
Do you work at a place like Costco? Starbucks? Safeway? If you have the connections or personal wherewithal to get any of these items in bulk, please let us know at email@example.com.
This is the list of requested items:
- soap, deodorant, feminine hygiene products
- toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss
- socks, hats, gloves, reading classes
- fleece blankets
- cloth shopping bags, gallon Ziplock bags
- fruit cups, protein bars, custard cups, bags of snack mix
- pens, word search books, decks of cards
- markers, crayons, coloring books, generic gifts for children
Below are some of the KHN social justice focused activities during this past social-distanced year:
On May 25th, 2020, KHN’s Tikkun Olam Committee presented a special Information & Action event with a panel led by Professor Sandra Silberstein of the University of Washington. Join KHN members and friends in the greater community to learn about the current and growing violence against the Uygher Muslim population in China, and how we can act to ensure a world without genocide.
A nationally recognized expert on the relationship between authoritarian movements, hate violence, and preserving inclusive democracy, Eric brings over 30 years of leadership in community organizing and philanthropy to his roles as Western States Center’s Executive Director, Senior Fellow with Southern Poverty Law Center, and Senior Advisor with Race Forward. Since Eric took the helm in 2017, Western States Center has become a national hub for innovative responses to white nationalism, antisemitism, and structural inequality, towards a world where everyone can live, love, worship, and work free from fear. Eric is the author of multiple written works credited with key narrative shifts, including “Skin in the Game: How Antisemitism Animates White Nationalism.”