Sponsored Family- ongoing
A generous community member has donated a home for M, M and J for 6 months! We are profoundly grateful.
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORED FAMILY!
DONATIONS NEEDED FOR OUR SPONSORED FAMILY
M, M and J need a variety of household, food and clothing items.
Please follow this link to see what’s needed and to sign up:
Leigh Ann Johnson will contact you to coordinate pick-up.
We Need Volunteers for Christmas Day, December 25
We will be preparing and serving lunch for the homeless on Christmas Day, Tuesday the 25th, at our regular spot in White Center (in the parking lot behind Bartell Drugs). We need at least 10 volunteers to prepare (or purchase) food and beverages. We’ll meet at 11:30 am to set up and we’ll stay until the food is gone (before 2 pm). If you have folding chairs we could borrow, that would be even better. Please note for this special meal, no clothes or hygiene products will be available, but we’ll distribute gift bags.
For more information, please contact Lou Manuta at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Detention Lottery: an Immersive Theatre Experience
The Delridge Neighborhoods Development Association invites you to a special event, “The Detention Lottery: an immersive theatre experience” written by Immigration Rights attorney Margaret O’Donnell of Global Law Associates, PLLC.
The purpose of this production is to educate U.S. citizens on the immigration enforcement system, raise alarm about the hidden, lawless, and unjust detention and deportation systems, and motivate those seeking to empower the community with this information.
The entire cast is made up of immigrants and immigration rights attorneys. Audience members should expect to experience some of our detention and deportation processes, and a courtroom proceeding.
All are welcome to join us for this powerful experience. Please RSVP. Donations greatly appreciated.
UPDATE FROM GETHSEMANE CHURCH ABOUT SANCTUARY
Support one of the new “Music @ 9thand Stewart” concerts at Gethsemane, 911 Stewart Street in downtown Seattle. A portion of all ticket revenue supports nonprofit relief of immigrants, as well as families experiencing food- and housing-insecurity.
- The Beggar Boys (celtic music/dance) – Dec 15 at 3pm
- December 4 – Jose’s birthday. Consider sending birthday greetings to him c/o Gethsemane, 911 Stewart St, Seattle WA 98101
- December 16 – Las Posadas Pageant. As part of the regular Sunday morning worship service at Gethsemane, families with young children and a few other adults will present a Las Posadas Pageant at 10am. All are welcome to celebrate this adaptation of the Mexican holiday.
- Christmas – There are a lot of children and adults from Jose’s home community who have made his life in Sanctuary better by traveling from Lakewood to be with him at Gethsemane when they can. We have asked Jose to make a list of these families so that we might help him bless them with gifts this Christmas. Please gauge the capacity of your community to “adopt” some of these people and purchase gifts for them on Jose’s behalf, and we will get you names, genders, ages, etc.
- To learn more about Jose Robles, who’s been in sanctuary at Gethsemane Lutheran Church in Seattle since June 28, check out the new website: www.SanctuaryDowntownSeattle.com. Consider making a financial gift to support Jose and his family: Go to www.givelify.com/givenow/1.0/MTU1MTY=/selection, specify “Other” and then “Add Memo” and “Sanctuary.”
HIRING WORKERS FROM CASA LATINA
Here’s a wonderful suggestion from longtime TBA member Rachael Levine:
“I have had great success employing workers from Casa Latina to help us with house cleaning and basic maintenance of our large yard and garden areas. A phone call to 206-956-0779 x3 provides information regarding availability and conditions of employment. I have enjoyed the diversity, skill and work ethic of each worker. This is a direct way to help sustain a worker and his/her family. Over the past 5-6 years, I have never had a negative incident and have only enjoyed the diversity and skill of those who have been sent. This is a direct way to help sustain a family while mutually developing community.” More information about hiring workers from Casa Latina is here:https://casa-latina.org/get-involved/hire-worker.
Join KHN’s Tikkun Olam Discussion Platform on Basecamp
The Tikkun Olam Committee hosts an internal platform for discussion, resources and upcoming events. To join or for more information, please email here.